The Hard Path, Part 2 « Cooperative Catalyst
Forget hierarchy. Forget leading and following. Forget the prevalent notion of executive control over school systems, kids, and “learning.”
- You are not in control of your classroom; you have not lost control of your classroom. You are a part of what your classroom is.
- You are not the leader; you are not a follower. You are interdependent.
- You aren’t coerced; you can’t coerce others. You act.
- You aren’t teaching; you aren’t learning. You relate.
- You aren’t responsible; you aren’t irresponsible. You fulfill needs.
In some ways, these ideas seem reductionist and dehumanizing to me; in some ways they capture exactly what I think it means to be human and why we educate children.